World of WarCraft Players are no stranger to upgrading their armor, but things have changed a bit dragonflight Season 2. Upgrading your gear isn’t as easy as it could be, but we’re here to help. This time you need two new currencies: Flightstones and Shadowflame Crests. Every kind of equipment is in here dragonflight Season 2 and how to update them.
How to upgrade gear in Season 2 of WoW: Dragonflight
First off, last season’s currency, Valor, is now useless. You won’t use it at all. Instead, you’ll spend most of your time in Zaraleck Caverns, Mythic+ Dungeons, and Raids if you want to get Flightstones and Shadowflame Crests. There are two equipment upgrade systems dragonflight Season 2: one for PvE gear and one for PvP gear. In this guide, we’ll focus on the former.
In Season 2, PvE gear is divided into six tiers: Explorer, Adventurer, Veteran, Champion, Hero, and Mythic. Each type has its own item level range. Once you’ve reached the maximum, you’ll have to move on to the next level if you want to see the progress.
You can upgrade equipment eight times for explorers, adventurers, veterans and champions. Hero equipment can be upgraded five times. Mythic gear is so powerful that it cannot be upgraded at all.
Types of equipment in Dragonflight season 2
To make things easier to understand, here’s a quick overview of the six gear tiers, their item level range, and how to get each type:
- Explorer gear: item level 376-398; Can be acquired through mobs and quests in Zaraleck Cave.
- Adventure Gear: item level 389-411; Obtained by completing world quests in Zaraleck Cave.
- Veteran Gear: item level 402-424; acquired through Fyrakk Assaults, special activities in Zaralek Cave, the Aberrus Raid Finder, the final chapters of the Embers of Neltharion campaign, and lower level Mythic+ dungeons.
- Champion Gear: item level 415-437; Can be acquired in normal Aberrus, as a reward from the Great Vault, in weekly bonus events, and in mid-level Mythic+ dungeons.
- Hero gear: item level 428-441; Can be purchased in Heroic Aberrus, as a reward from the Great Vault, and in high-level Mythic+ dungeons.
- Mythic Gear: item level 441-457; acquired in Mythic Aberrus and as a reward from the Great Vault.
How to upgrade items in Dragonflight season 2
To upgrade gear in Season 2, you need two currencies: Flightstones and Shadowflame Crests.
Flightstones are much easier to get. You can get Flightstones by doing pretty much anything – world quests, dungeons, raids, events, you name it. But it’s much harder to get Shadowflame Crests. To get these, you’ll need to complete more difficult content like mythical dungeons and raids.
There are four types of Shadowflame Crests in Season 2, and each one is slightly different. Don’t worry, we’ll summarize them for you.
- Whelpling Shadowflame Crest: used to upgrade higher tier adventurer and lower tier veteran gear, or to craft an optional reagent for crafted gear; upgrades your equipment to item level 411.
- Earned by: Aberrus bosses in Raid Finder, Mythic + Tier 5 and below Dungeons, World Quests, Treasures and other activities. Fragments can also be purchased from Spinsoa in Loamm.
- Drake’s shadowflame crest: Used to upgrade higher tier Veteran gear and lower tier Champion gear. upgrades your gear to item level 424.
- Earned by: Aberrus bosses in Normal difficulty, Mythic+ level 6-10 dungeons., Weekly events in Zaralek Cave. Fragments can also be purchased from Spinsoa in Loamm.
- Wyrm’s Shadowflame Crest: Used to upgrade higher tier Veteran and lower tier Champion gear. upgrades your gear to item level 437.
- Earned by: Aberrus Bosses on Heroic Difficulty, Levels 11-15 Mythic+ Dungeons.
- Shadowflame Crest of the Aspect: Used to upgrade hero gear to item level 441 or to craft an optional reagent for crafted gear.
- Earned by: Aberrus bosses on Mythic difficulty and in Mythic+ dungeons at level 16 and above.
Where to upgrade your gear in WoW: Dragonflight
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to start upgrading. Luckily, you can upgrade your gear in three places a year dragonflight.
- In Valdrakken, you can upgrade your gear by speaking to Corxian. It’s at (45, 38) if you use coordinates.
- Once in the Restricted Area, speak to Researcher Baneflare in Morqut. Its coordinates are (35, 59).
- Finally, when you get to Zaraleck Caverns, Cuzolth is the guy you want to see. It’s at (56, 56) if you use coordinates.
Now you know where to get the gear you need and how to upgrade gear in Season 2 of WoW dragonflight. For more help with the power World of Warcraft Extension and beyond, check out our guides hub.